What is the First13 program?
The First13 Nutrition Education Program is here to support Australians who want to conquer their weight and improve their health.
Our Education & Engagement program is:
- Easy to get Started, Realistic and Sustainable
- Developed, Delivered & Supported by Accredited Practising Dietitians
- Supporting the great work of other Health & Exercise Professionals by providing Evidence-Based Education to their clients
How does the First13 program help?
We provide you with the tools and education necessary to change your mindset, improve your lifestyle, learn about nutrition basics and explore your relationship with food. Our exercise education and customised plan will help you get and stay active.
Why choose the First13 program?
1. Created and led by an Accredited Practising Dietitian (APD)
APDs are the only nutrition professionals that:
- Have scientific training and clinical supervision, making them highly skilled at examining scientific evidence and cutting through misinformation.
- Are qualified to deliver dietary and medical nutrition therapy under Medicare.
- Are more than just nutrition scientists. They are also trained in counselling, coaching and educating – so they can provide advice that is realistic, actionable and right for you.
2. Get connected and supported
- Small groups of like-minded learners make up learning teams.
- Your questions answered directly by your assigned Leading Dietitian.
- Private consultations available to discuss specific issues and customised diet planning.
3. Based on current scientific evidence
Our nutrition program complies with recommendations made by:
- The National Health and Medical Research Council
- The Australian Government Department of Health.
- Focus on Mindset and Lifestyle instead of a strict diet and calorie counting approach.
- Focus on permanent positive shift in eating and exercise behaviour through improving your relationship with food.
We provide affordable access to Accredited Dietitians knowledge and support by delivering our education online and through groups
The 5 week Introductory Program is $125 for 5 weeks.
You can pay upfront or by 5 weekly payment of $25.
***SPECIAL for April starters***
$99 upfront for the 5 Week Program (25% discount)
Private consultations are not a requirement of the program, but they are available.
food.com.au Accredited Practising Dietitian Private Consultations:
Standard Session $49.50 | Extended Session $79.50
Your welcome email will include an easy to follow form for you to complete and take to your GP for medical clearance and baseline health data collection. At this appointment your GP will decide if you qualify for a Management Plan which can cover the cost of up to 5 private consultations with food.com.au Accredited Practising Dietitians to customise & support your weight loss journey.
What do I get for my money?
5 week Online Nutrition Education Course
4 core modules each week – Mindset, Lifestyle, Food, Exercise
Video introductions for each week and every module
Quiz and Self reflection worksheets for every module
Additional Modules – this provides a level of customisation as you can learn about subjects that are relevant to you at your own pace.
Exercise Physiologist designed exercise program with starting points for all levels of fitness.
Access to public and private support forums for your learning group, and the wider food.com.au learning community, promoting social interaction and sharing of knowledge and experiences.
Weekly checkin forms to track progress and wellbeing.
An assigned Lead Dietitian and Nutrition Support team to answer your questions via weekly video response and help you stay on track through additional engagement.
Private consultation with your leading dietitian available at additional cost.
- Focus on mindset and lifestyle, as opposed to pure diet/calorie based approach.
- Aim towards a permanent positive shift rather than ‘quick fixes’.
- Promotion of a balanced diet through realistic & actionable content and strategies.
- Group connection and encouragement to engage in positive, healthy & social activities.
- Affordable due to group education structure.
- Personalisation through self-reflection and additional modules.
Overweight and dealing with any of these issues?
- Access to diet and nutrition services?
- Tried and failed before?
- Health messages going in one ear and out the other?
- Lost weight but found it again?
- Feeling isolated?
- Can’t get into exercise?
- Not mentally ready to change or not sure where to start?
- Complete the course at your own pace in your own time.Online and outside business hours appointments are available.
- Our education and support focus could be the key for you.
- Our self-reflection worksheets with every module help you apply the new knowledge to your personal circumstances and turn learning into action.
- We help you create long-term, sustainable change.
- Connect with professional support and others facing the same challenges – learn and change together.
- Our Exercise Physiologist designed walking & exercise program with starting points for all levels of fitness is for you.
- Check out our program flow below, and imagine what it would feel like to master each of these subjects.
5 week introductory course for $99
- Core Modules
- Food and You
- WEEK 1
- Are you ready, willing and able?
- Finding the balance
- Nutrition basics
- Beginning your exercise program
- WEEK 2
- Let’s stop the glorification of busy
- The life balance wheel
- Body shapes, health & metabolism
- The elements of fitness
- WEEK 3
- Practising mindfulness
- Enjoying the journey
- Portion control
- What’s holding you back?
- WEEK 4
- Addressing emotional eating
- The importance of support groups
- What’s your eating style?
- Measuring your fitness
- WEEK 5
- Food attitudes
- Sowing seeds, reaping rewards
- Health benefits of fruit & vegetables
- How do you like to move?
Self-Paced Additional Modules
Pick any of these at any time. We are constantly adding new modules
The Obesogenic Environment
Energy In vs Energy Out
Meals & Planning
Tips & Strategies
M – Mindset
Based on the latest evidence and proven concepts of nutrition behaviour and psychology. We’ll give you easy to understand and implement knowledge and strategies to get you motivated and keep you on track.
F – Food & You
Improving your relationship with healthy food, through a deeper understanding and appreciation of how food fuels your body. We present fundamental nutrition facts, explore your eating style & habits. We also cover the health benefits/drawbacks of various foods & ingredients.
PAI – Partners, Action, Insight
Partners are a big part of the food.com.au platform. Here you will find insightful tools and pathways to action in areas such as emerging technology, behaviour change and ideas from people or organisations that share our vision for improved health through nutrition and exercise.
L – Lifestyle
Wanting to make change is not enough. Here we will support you to make healthy nutrition part of your life on a daily basis, whilst also acknowledging that you have so much else going on. It’s all about balance, right?
E – Exercise
There are so many benefits of exercise. Whether you are starting from scratch, or getting back into it, we’ve got you covered. Tips, motivation and programs including walking, body weight and mobility exercises are available to all clients. Here we will also help you to consider other forms of exercise that you might enjoy, and encourage you to be as active as possible throughout the day.
People learn at different speeds and will have different reasons for taking action over their personal nutrition. The Additional Module set gives freedom and personalisation to the course. Choose the subjects you want to learn about and cover them off at your own pace. Return to them whenever you need to review, refresh, or reimplement the knowledge and strategies.