Jane Barnes low-fat version of this popular salad is an excellent choice for a lunch or light meal. From Jane's book, Recipe Renovations.
- 1 pc Clove Garlic Finely crushed
- 1 pc Egg Soft-boiled
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 tsp Water
- 2 tsp Lemon Juice or Vinegar
- 1/4 tsp Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 8 pcs Thin Slices of Day-old French Bread Cut into cubes
- 4 pcs Small Potatoes Boiled and cut into chunks
- 2 Tbsp Low-fat Plain Yoghurt
- 2 pcs Ripe Tomatoes Cut into wedges
- 200 g Green Beans Cooked but still crisp and warm
- 185 g Tuna in Brine
- 1 pc Hard-Boiled Egg Quartered
- 2 Mignonette Lettuces or Equivalent Soft-leafed Salad Mix
- 16 Small Black Olives
- 8 Anchovies Washed and cut into strips
- To make dressing, process garlic then soft-boiled egg in blender. Add olive oil, water, lemon juice or vinegar, pepper and whiz until well combined. Set aside.
- Heat non-stick frypan, add bread and toss until brown. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix warm cooked potatoes with yoghurt. (Alternatively, mix yoghurt with dressing later.)
- Add tomatoes, warm beans, tuna and hard-boiled egg and pour dressing over. Mix gently but well.
- Cover a serving platter with salad leaves. Spread mixture over salad leaves and decorate with croutons, olives and anchovies. Serve immediately.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!