Low-Fat Hot Cross Buns
- 1 Tbsp Compressed Yeast
- 150 mL Skim Milk at Room Temperature
- 2 Tbsp Sugar
- 2 cups Sifted Plain Flour
- 30 g Reduced-fat Margarine
- 1 pc Egg (50g) Lightly beaten
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Mixed Dried Fruit
- 1/2 cup Plain Flour Extra
- 2 tsp Sugar Extra
- 1/3 cup Water
- 1 Tbsp Sugar Extra for glaze
- 1 tsp Gelatine
- 1 Tbsp Hot Water
- Combine the yeast with the milk and one teaspoon of the sugar and one teaspoon of the flour. Set in a warm place and leave for 15 minutes until the mixture turns frothy.
- Sift the flour, sugar, spices and salt into a large bowl. Rub the margarine into the mixture with your hands. Add the egg, dried fruit and yeast mixture and beat well with a wooden spoon.
- Cover the mixture with a cloth and stand in a warm place for about 40 minutes or until the dough has doubled in size. When the dough is ready, knead it gently for five minutes so that it has a smooth consistency.
- Place non-stick baking paper on an oven tray. Cut the dough into 12 pieces and mould each piece into a round, bun shape and place on the tray. Leave to stand in a warm place for a further 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the mixture for the crosses using the extra plain flour, sugar and water. Stir together with enough water to make a smooth paste. Using a piping bag fitted with a small, plain tube, draw crosses on the buns. Bake buns in a hot oven for 20 minutes.
- While the buns are baking, make the glaze: Combine the extra sugar, gelatine and water in a saucepan and stir over heat until the gelatine has dissolved.
- Brush the buns with the glaze while they are still hot from the oven.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!